A crimp tool is a tool that is used to join or connect two pieces of material by using compression to form a connecting bond. This type of hand tool is set to the desired pressure needed to effectively join two subjects together for a secure seal that allows a connection is made. Some crimp tools have pre-set dies for the terminal to ensure a precise seal.
What is a crimp tool used for?
A crimp tool can be used for a variety of different tasks and depends on what type of crimp tool you are using. They are generally used for electrics and cabling, e.g, adding electrical connectors on to a wire or cable. Some crimpers also have cutters or wire strippers built-in as a multi-purpose tool which allows additional versatility across a range of applications. Crimp tools are an essential hand tool for:
Maintenance and repair technicians
- Electrical installation engineers
- Cable assembly technicians
What types of crimp tools are there?
Crimp tools allow you to quickly and easily connect two components together and are very easy and efficient to use. Some of the most common types are:
- Handheld or manually operated - Easy and simple to use and are normally used to crimp smaller items together. They are an effective and economical tool to use and can be carried in a toolbox and used when required
- Electrical - These crimp tools are normally battery operated and work in the same way as standard handheld crimp tools. The main difference is that less effort is required to use these in comparison to the handheld tools
- Handheld hydraulic - This tool requires very little user effort when being used because all of the pressure is applied via a pump forcing hydraulic fluid into the crimp tool and compressing the die
- Manual benchtop - These crimp tools are mounted to a benchtop and manually operated
- Electric benchtop - Mounted onto a benchtop in the same way as a manual one, but an electric motor operates the crimp tool, producing high-quality crimps and are ideal when high production rates are needed
- Pneumatic - They can be mounted on a workbench or handheld and work by using the pressurised hydraulic liquid is required to crimp material that is difficult to crimp manually